The Sheriffs Department of Berkeley County, West Virginia was established in 1865. Berkeley County was formed from Frederick County, Virginia in 1772 and the county seat of Martinsburg was incorporated in 1778. In 1861 Berkeley County became a part of the new state of West Virginia. John W. Pitzer served as the first Sheriff of Berkeley County from 1865 to 1870. Since Sheriff Pitzer’s term twenty-nine men have been elected and served at Sheriff of Berkeley County, the second oldest county in the state.
Through the years the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department has maintained a strong force of trained, capable men and women who proudly served as Deputy Sheriff. These individuals have dedicated their lives to law enforcement and the protecting the citizens of this great county. During this time, Berkeley County has suffered the loss of just one deputy sheriff who gave his life in the line of duty.
In addition to their law enforcement duties, members of the Sheriff’s Department devote many hours in community service to schools, sports and special events.